Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Glimpse Inside My Mind

My mental white board is a source of constant amusement for my writing partner, Lindsay.   When I am playing connect the character dots or trying to add a new thread, she will often chuckle and tell me to flip the board back a week or two to see what I've missed. As irritating as her suggestion is, it is surprisingly accurate!  I simply shuffle whiteboards  . . . toss one to the back while bringing another forward.  I have one for each of my characters, each of my manuscripts, as well as for those works I am critiquing.  I don't know how I keep them all straight --probably heavy doses of caffeine and an insane need to compartmentalize!

She asked me a few days back what my character map for our MC, Jake, actually looked like.  It took some time, but I think I've created a rather accurate rendering for her to view.  Here it is!  It may not make any sense to you; but to me, it contains all the information I need to create a fully fleshed-out character.








8 comments:

  1. Wow! That is just...wow! I don't know how you do it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a really cool looking diagram. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's actually a little scary...but it a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand it, but it's awesome. I wish I thought that way! Also, yay for a character named Meredith!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't do that. For me, that is too much visual information. I need lists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, nice to visit your blog! Your novel sounds very interesting--I like dystopian. :) Your character map is also intriguing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks complicated, I'm glad you understand it :-) Look like the book could be good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say, I'm also a little overwhelmed and confused by the whiteboard. I'm going to study it a little more. Maybe I can learn from it. Thanks for sharing :)

    Rosie
    East for Green Eyes

    ReplyDelete